The Control Centre Supervisor/Dispatcher will maintain, govern, and provide effective, efficiently running routes for the customer and will supply accurate data for conventional transit and community bus service route operators. Strong administrative skills will be valuable in tracking operational data and following through with operator and supervisor performance meetings. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the transit service through efficient use of the INIT-CAD/AVL and Trapeze FX software. The incumbent will monitor bus service levels to ensure efficient use of equipment and personnel as well as compliance with budget and resource limits. They will be responsible for the supervision of on road bus drivers, including but not limited to planning and implementing departmental policies and ensuring maximum reliability and efficiency of run and route coverage. He/she provides management oversight of all Division performance, ensuring proactive use of strategic and supervisory resources in response to service delays. They are responsible for implementation of all operating procedures including Emergency Management procedures.
The Control Centre Supervisor/Dispatcher should demonstrate and encourage a “Safety First” lifestyle. They will be responsible for driver discipline, tracking and documenting daily events. The Control Centre Supervisor/Dispatcher will respond to vehicle breakdowns, accidents and road closures to ensure effective and efficient management of the service ensuring maximum reliability and efficiency of run and route coverage. They are required to coordinate switch offs’ of vehicles due to malfunctions and direct and work with Transit Inspectors to manage service. The Control Centre Supervisor/Dispatcher will be responsible for incorporating into route plan factors such as peak travel periods, holidays, special events, and construction with emphasis on time and cost efficiency and will be required to monitor and, maintain service schedules. The incumbent will liase with management and maintenance staff, initiate complaint investigation and response.
Successful candidates must possess:
- 2 to 3 years’ experience in a supervisory capacity in bus operations.
- Excellent knowledge of geographic locations, vehicle routing opportunities, and traffic conditions within the YRT/VIVA service area.
- The successful candidate must possess a valid G license with a clean driver’s abstract.
- Must be extremely flexible and have the ability to learn quickly in a fast paced environment. Must be able to work out of any Miller and YRT location in York Region
- The candidate must be an independent, self-starter and be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Participate in all training sessions and training deemed mandatory by York Region Transit or Miller Transit.
- Professional, courteous and be able to handle difficult situations and people.
- Experience conducting investigative interviews and suggesting fair disciplinary action.
- Excellent computer, problem solving and customer service skills
- Must have the ability to work with, read, analyze, and interpret computer information with various software applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Previous work in a union environment would be preferred.
- The ability to write and communicate effectively, presenting information, and respond to questions from all levels of associates.
- First Aid Training is a requirement and mandatory
- Willing and able to work unconventional shifts including split, evening, holidays, weekends
- Apply day to day operations systems that comply with Federal, Provincial, Regional and local municipal legislation standards including the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, Passenger Vehicle and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), the Region’s Transit and local By-laws and the Region’s Fare Policy and the Collective Agreement.
- Able to operate and demonstrate to staff on the use of all on-vehicle systems including CAD/AVL and GPS System, destination signs, GFI fare boxes, Presto and other/future corresponding software as well as passenger/device securement systems.
- Maintain accurate log of the same as listed above.
- Responsible for ensuring On-Time Departures and must be able to monitor and manage the route system and maximize efficiency.