Ensure vehicle and equipment adherence to the company’s preventative maintenance program. Make certain all vehicles and equipment are properly maintained at all times, in a state of good repair and condition satisfactory to York Region and the Region’s representative(s), taking into consideration the vehicle and component’s manufacturer’s requirements. Ensure all vehicle maintenance is performed in accordance with, or exceed, the Manufacturer’s recommended maintenance and Servicing Practices.
Essential Job Duties
• Conducts a walk around the premises prior to beginning daily activities to evaluate the facility and fleet. This will include making documentation of items related to safety, checking parking conditions, random inspections of buses, cleanliness of location, office and shop conditions and all other items related to this evaluation.
• Responsible for directing the work of all technicians including the development of work orders and the evaluation of all repairs performed by both the technicians and outside vendors.
• Manages the maintenance response to all road calls.
• Monitors technician absence and tardiness. Initiates appropriate disciplinary action in conjunction with the Human Resources Supervisor in a manner consistent with company policy. Advises the Vice President of individual situations that require further attention.
• Reviews all inventory levels and initiates re-orders of parts as required.
• The Maintenance Manager shall be responsible for required materials for vehicle licensing and transfer such material to the vehicles.
• Assists the Shop Supervisor’s with the supervision of maintenance staff. Communicates job requirements and expectations. Monitors the performance of staff and provides coaching and guidance as required.
• The Maintenance Manager shall be responsible for gathering all data for month end billing. A daily inquiry of routing events shall be documented for efficient billing practices.
• Ensure that the Company is in full compliance with all safety regulations and the environmental registry postings and environmental waste reporting services.
• Works closely with the Manager, Human Resources regarding applicant screening and interviews as required.
• The Maintenance Manager is involved in the disciplinary process including but not limited to issuing warning letters and suspension of an employee.
• When required, the Maintenance Manager shall assist in new hire orientation for the maintenance department.
• Work closely with the Vice President to monitor the budget. Assist with end of month summary reports.
• Participate and comply with York Region’s recommendations as a result of Inspections and audits.
• In conjunction with the Safety Supervisor, ensure all training requirements are met.
• Performs any other management requests or directives as they relate to the overall function.
• Ensure that the Region’s M5 Maintenance System is fully and accurately utilized by all applicable shop employees.
• Manage and monitor all maintenance programs in order to ensure full compliance with the Region.
• Ensure that the maintenance and administer buildings are fully kept in state of repair.
• Bachelor Degree in a related discipline and a minimum of five years’ experience in a managerial role in a transit system, preferably unionized.
• Must have a good driving record
• Must have a valid CZ or BZ driver’s license with clean abstract
• Must have a valid 310T Licensed Truck and Coach Mechanic Certificate
• Superior leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
• Exceptional computer skills
• Must be able to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
• Must be able to work a flexible work schedule as needed
• Must have own set of tools